It is here. No News September. The month that is peculiar only to me and would have sounded better if it had been No News November for the alliteration. But it just happened to be around this time, a few years back, that I felt I needed to clear my head and not read news, so September it is. Plus I have a graphic so I am primed. And kind of excited to see how it goes. It went very, very well last year. So much so I thought I might do it forever but I slipped. No News September! Where I attempt to avoid the news and if I do find myself slipping, ie doom-scrolling, I hope to realise what I am doing, stop it at once! and do something else. What is even better about No New September is it will give me more time to think about my new book, since I am not... Watching the news Reading the news Scrolling the news Listening to the news. Getting distraught by the news. Getting outraged by the news. When I'm waiting for the bus, instead of scrolling, I can ponder my book. If I have to ...
I'm up to 15,000 words on the story. In other words, it is going well. I had no plot but as I've progressed I've got an idea for a plot. As it is a Christmas story, I have to remember that there is Christmas stuff to include, too. That's the fun bit. The book is set in London and I've never been to London, let alone at Christmas, so fun-times in the research. I was on the Harrods department store website and as I was looking through their Christmas items, I happened across their Christmas bear and I thought...of course. The Bartley's Department store needs a Christmas Bear. I have no idea how I will incorporate it but there will be bear, that you can buy from the store, and he will be called Bart (Bartley) Bear. My aim for this story is to finish it around the 50,000 word mark on this first draft, then I send it to my reader for an initial appraisal. Once they have yayed or nayed it, I go over it, flesh it out, delete, generally I add more because I tend...
Last September I did No News September. For the month, I avoided the temptation to look at the news. I managed it quite well. Didn't read the newspaper at work, or listen to the radio, or if the news was on the TV at home, I walked away. Yep, I managed it quite well. I was inspired by re-reading a particular book I'd found in the library, "Stop Reading The News." Written by a journalist, he gave up the news and felt so much better for it. Here is the post in 2024 where I talk about giving up the news. https://maddiesummersauthor.blogspot.com/2024/08/ive-decided-to-give-up-news.html And here is a post I wrote after "No News" was over. https://maddiesummersauthor.blogspot.com/2024/10/no-news-september-is-maybe-no-news.html So this September I will do it again. I need to re-read the book for inspo, but I'm excited to be doing No News September for 2025!.
Comments
Post a Comment